George Bell & Sons
George Bell & Sons was a publisher which produced classical literature as well as books on architecture, art, and archaeology. Founded by George Bell in 1839 as an educational bookseller.
Note: While we strive to be as thorough as possible in constructing the histories of dates and addresses, there are some elements of this data that are difficult to capture fully in our data model. Individuals only involved in a firm for a brief period, such as Henry Wood, who was a partner for less than a year in 1844, have been left out; similarly, the movement of George Bell’s sons in and out of the company between 1873 and 1890 has been simplified. In 1910, George Bell and Sons became a limited company, and, in the absence of detailed information about board members, the “owner” field has been left blank.