[pre-printed letterhead] The Garden City Press Letterpress. Printers. BookBinders. Stationers Letchworth: Herts
Estimate No. LS/ALG.
Please. State number when ordering. Ho/20702
London Office. Telephone altered to Holborn 4617
Jan[uary]. 21st, 1936
Terms: monthly 5/0.
Messers. The Hogarth Press,
52, Tavistock Square,
We have pleasure in submitting the following specification and price for your approval. Your further instructions will receive our immediate attention.
Day to day pamphlet “The League and Abyssinia,” size Crown 8vo [Crown Octavo]., to make approximately 36 pp. Inclusive of 4 pp. Prelims. Chapters to run on.
Composing 11 points old style, 22 x 36 ems overall 36 pages £7.1.0.
Imposing for machine @15 /- per 32pp. -16.11.
We consider that this will make a very tight 36 pp.
Machining 36pp. From type on paper
supplied to printer in size 40 x 30:-
1000 copies £2. 5 . 0.
1500 copies £2.13. 0.
2000 copies £3. 1. 0.
Supplying featherwove antique paper in substance 40 x 30, 60 lb
Per 1000 copies, 36 pages £- .19. 6.
Setting cover and machining first page
in black ink on paper supplied :-
1000 copies £-.13. 6.
Standard conditions & recognized customs of the printing trade
As issued by the British Foundation of Master Printers
- PRELIMINARY WORK – WORK produced, whether experimentally or otherwise, at customer's request will be charged for.
- PROOOFS- AUTHOR'S corrections on and after first proof, including alterations in style, will be charged extra. Proofs of all work may be submitted for customer's approval, and no responsibility will be accepted for any errors in process which may be passed by him.
- DELIVERY AND PAYMENT—in the absence of any agreement to the country, goods will be delivered when completed and payments for all goods will be made against delivery.
- EXPEDITED DELIVERY—should delivery of work be required sooner than normal required for its proper production, every effort will be made to secure freedom from defects, but reasonable allowance must be made by the customer in such cases. Should such delivery necessitates overtime being worked or other additional costs being incurred, a charge will be made to cover the incurred cost.
- QUANTITY DELIVERED—Every endeavour will be made to deliver the correct quantity ordered, but, owing to the difficulty of producing exact quantities, estimates are conditional upon a margin of 5 per cent ( in colour work 10 per cent) being allowed for overs or shortage the same to be charged for or deducted.
- CLAIMS—Any Complaint must be made within ten days of receipt of goods.
- STANDING MATTERS AND PRINTERS' MATERIALS. Type may be distributed and/or lithographic, photogravure, or other works effected immediately after the order is executed, unless written arrangements are made to the contrary. In the latter event, rent shall be paid unless any other specific arrangement has been made.
- CUSTOMER'S PROPERTY -- Customer's property when supplied will be held at customer's risk. Every care will be taken to secure the best results where materials are supplied by customers, but responsibility will no be accepted ( or imperfect work caused by defects in, or sustainability of material supplied.
- ILLEGAL MATTER – The printers shall not be required to print any matter which in their opinion is of illegal nature.
- PERIODICAL PUBLICATION – In the absence of any agreement in the contrary, estimates are given upon the condition that not less than three months' notice is given to terminate the contract for the printing of monthly publication and not less than the month's notice in the case of weekly publication.
- CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS – responsibility will not be accepted for consequential loss or damage or by errors or by delay in delivery.
- FORCE MAJEURE – Every effort will be made to carry out any contract based on an estimate, but the due performance of it is subject to variation or cancellation owning to an Act of God, War, Strikes, Lockouts, Fire, Flood, Drought or any other cause beyond control or owing to inability to procure materials or articles except at increased prices due to any of the foregoing causes
Estimate No. Ho/20702. Sheet No 2. 21-1-36.
1500 copies £-. 16. 0.
2000 copies £-. 18. 0.
Supplying “Curzon” cover page in 68 lb.
Double crown substances per 1000 copies £-. 12. 0.
Supplying “ Azalea” cover, Lightweight, ordinary shades
Per 1000 copies £-. 14. 6.
If Cerise, Cornflower, Emerald, Lemon, Yellow or Peacock Blue Per 1000 copies £-. 16. 6.
Binding 36pp., sewn as two sections, wrappered in paper cover, glued back, cut flush: -
250 copies £-. 11. 0.
500 copies £1. 0. 0.
1000 copies £1. 14. 6.
This work has been quoted for upon the standard conditions as shown on the back of sheet No. 1.
Yours faithfully | L.S. [signature] | The Garden City Press LTD.