Reproduced with permission from Penguin Random House UK Archive and Library owner of the Hogarth Press archive collection, held by the University of Reading Special Collections.
With thanks to the Society of Authors
This item has not been made available with a CC BY-NC-ND licence.
Source: MS 2750/497/4
Leonard Woolf informs Viola Tree the Woolfs want to consider her book, but Woolf doesn't want to make the decision without his wife finishing the completed manuscript. Woolf adds that the delay is unfair to Tree in denying her the opportunity to go to another publisher. He states that the book and its pictures are no trouble, and says he doesn't want Tree to go to Methuens and asks if Tree can give the Woolfs another 2 weeks for Virginia Woolf to recover, and read the book, so that they can give Tree a clear answer. Woolf asks if Tree is agreeable to the request, and adds that it would be inadvisable to publish the book in the spring.
Typescript letter signed by Leonard Woolf.